My brother-in-law texted me last night with this idea, and after thinking about it, I decided to do what he suggested. There really is too much of the bad, too much bullshit, too much negative. So I’m gonna try to make a list of good things weekly, kind of a regular thing, just to brighten my outlook and hopefully the outlook of anyone reading this. They say when you notice the good, you attract it to you. Let’s give it a try.
Andddd without further ado:
1. There are so many books out there to read, so many adventures to go on as you dive into a story, so many lives to live, so much to learn, so much to feel. It’s unending. It’s expansive. It’s a gift.
2. There’s still so much left to WRITE! There’s a whole world out there to document, countless experiences to make real via words on a page. Writing is what we do to taste life twice or thrice, to revisit feelings and events and conversations whenever we want. We can dive back into our memories. Or we can create new worlds if we want. We can do the impossible. Writing is freedom, and it is ours and always will be.
3. And if that’s not for you, there are other types of good in this world that we only have to take time to notice. Things to appreciate. The smell of green grass, freshly cut, on a summer morning. Crickets making music as you fall asleep on summer nights. The dark night sky giving way to vibrant purples and oranges until it seamlessly fades into the pastels that turn into clear blue skies and sunny days. Sipping a cup of coffee in reverberating morning silence. The way the colors change as the seasons change, the artistic beauty of life at its finest. A fuzzy blanket on a cold winter evening. The quiet of the first snowfall of the season.
4. Kindness is stronger than hate. And although it might seem like hate is more, uh, prevalent, it’s only because you don’t have to look as hard for it. Hatred is more shocking, more concerning, more news-worthy. But kindness is always there underneath the surface. That’s why people are all so disgusted by the world and what it’s presumably becoming. We have to know deep down that kindness exists. Because it sure as hell does.
5. Loyal dogs that give us unconditional love.
6. Technology has progressed enough to give us the comforts of life we currently enjoy. We can communicate with people all over the world via the internet, and yeah that’s an overused statement about what it has done for us, but if you really think about that it boggles the mind. It’s also pretty amazing that I can text end my boyfriend memes even when he’s five feet from where I’m sitting. We have access to all the knowledge accumulated from basically ever. And like, we have cars and planes, we have washing machines and dryers, we have modern medicine, we have hair straighteners, we can watch TV because its a thing that exists. It’s all phenomenal.
I’m definitely being vaguer than my bro intended, but it’s a good start to something I need to think about more deeply. So yeah. Good things that I appreciate ^